Peak Press

New York Offers Free College Tuition! but Wait Theres More…..

Travis Stedman, Sports Editor

The state of New York has put into action a bill that would allow any New York resident to attend any New York college for free, if your household makes less then 100,000 dollars a year. There are some requirements that have caught some by surprise. Including, students must attend school full time and be on track to graduate college in two or four years depending on the degree. Also, the student receiving the scholarship must live and work in New York for as long as they received the scholarship. If they do not, the scholarship will become a student loan and will have to be repaid in full. New York is the first state to offer free four year college, but Oregon and Tennessee already offered free two year college to high school graduates. This may not be a perfect fix, but it is a step in the right direction. Since 1999, student debt has increased more than 500 percent. The total student loan debt in the United States is at 1.41 trillion dollars. Unlike college tuition, since 2000, the average salary for young people has decreased by 10 percentAccording to the College Board, the average cost of tuition and fees for the 2016–2017 school year was $33,480 at private colleges, $9,650 for state residents at public colleges, and $24,930 for out-of-state residents attending public universities. Society has created a demand for students with college degrees, and colleges are supplying that demand but at an outrageous price. So, don’t be surprised if more states pass a bill like New York’s to cut that price.