Tips and Tricks for AP Testing.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tips and Tricks for AP Testing.

Travis Stedman, Sports Editor

As the school year comes to the end, AP Testing will be occurring.  This time of the year can be very stressful for students as they try to prepare for these important tests. There are some study methods and testing methods that students can implement to help the stress and better there test scores.

Make Sure To Answer Every Question:

On AP tests, no harm is done if you guess. So, if you are running out of time and you know you can’t finish all the questions, then guess. Having some sort of answer down gives you a better chance than if you leave it blank. Also, a tip for guessing is to choose a letter for the day before you begin the test. Choose one letter A-D that you will answer every time you need to guess. This will increase your chance to getting the questions right instead of always guessing a different letter.

Make Sure To Answer The Questions You Know:

When taking the test try not to get stuck on a question you are not confident with. Spending several minutes on one question you do not know can limit the amount of questions you answer. Some questions you may not get to could be ones you know, so if you get stuck on a question, move on to the next question because this will allow you to answer all the questions you know for sure. After you answer all questions you know, you can go back and answer or guess on the questions you skipped depending on the remaining amount of time.

Plan Essay’s Out:

This may not apply to every AP exam, but it’s critical that you plan them out before you start writing them. Even five minutes spent quickly jotting down your thesis and the main ideas of your paragraphs will help you write the essay faster, make your argument stronger, and your essay will be better organized and more fluent. In result your scores on the writing sections will be much higher.

Bring Snacks and Drinks:

This might seem like a relatively obvious tip, but you may experience some serious test fatigue during your AP exams. Bringing water and a snack, preferably one with  protein and complex carbs ( like a peanut butter granola bar) will help you stay energized through the exam and keep you from losing focus.