Stop Da Smokin’

(Irina Kostenich/Unsplash)

Brianna Morgan, Marketing Manager

Disclaimer: The views/opinions expressed by this author may not reflect the views/opinions of LHS Peak Press as a whole.

Most people stress over money and ask why they have to deal with financial problems, but never understand the reasons. Smoking cost about $160 a week. Smoking can cause chronic diseases and cancers such as lung cancer. It can also raise blood pressure and heart rate. Which can also cause a heart attack, and dizziness. Coughing and shortness of breath is also a caused by smoking. Or, worst of all, death. Cigarette smoke contains over 4,000 chemicals, 43 known of which are known to cause cancer, along with 400 other toxins.

Cigarettes contain nicotine, which is highly addictive. Most smokers enjoy the change in their mood and concentration caused by nicotine. Also, children are inhaling smoke, which can cause them illnesses. Kids suffer through emotional pain knowing that their parents could die by smoking. Some kids try their best to stop their parents from smoking. About 90% of people who try to quit smoking do it without outside support like aids, therapy, or medicine. This is not a recommended way to quit smoking. Remove cigarettes and ashtrays from a home, work, and car. Work with a counselor to find ways not to smoke. There are many different types of medicine that are intended to help people quit smoking. If people stop smoking they’ll be more healthy. People can also save money when they stop smoking.

Many teens in high school think that smoking is cool, but it’s not. People also know what smoking can do to their bodies but do it anyway. For some people, it makes them feel like all their problems have gone away but really it’s just adding more problems in their life and it also affects others around them because it worries people and makes them sad to think about death. But it affects your parents (depending on your parents) because it is affecting their child’s health that they have loved and raised their whole lives. 

Here are 23 ways to stop smoking or how to stop a friend to stop smoking:

1. Make an honest list of all the things you like about smoking
  2. Make another list of why quitting won’t be easy
  3. Set a quit date
  4. Write all your reasons for quitting on an index card
  5. As you’re getting ready to quit, stop buying cartons of cigarettes
  6. Keep a list of when you smoke for a week before quitting
  7. Prepare a list of things to do when a craving hits
  8. Quit when you’re in a good mood
  9. When your quit date arrives, throw out anything that reminds you of smoking
  10. Put all the money you’re saving on cigarettes in a large glass jar
  11. Switch to decaf until you’ve been cigarette-free for two months
  12. Think of difficult things you have done in the past
  13. Find a healthy snack food you can carry with you
  14. Switch to a cup of herbal tea whenever you usually have a cigarette
  15. Instead of a cigarette break at work, play a game of solitaire on your computer
  16. Picture yourself playing your favorite sport
  17. Create a smoke-free zone
  18. Post this list in a visible location in your house
  19. To minimize cravings, change your routine
  20. Swing by the health food store for some Avena sativa (oat) extract
  21. Tell your friends how you feel
  22. Make an appointment with an acupuncturist
  23. If you start smoking again then do it repeat the tips until you stop craving for a smoke

So next time you see a friend, family member, or even a person you just happen to know, show them that they can quit and that they should never give up trying to turn their life around.