Differences in Social Groups

Back to Article
Back to Article

Differences in Social Groups

Students Grouping in the Halls

Students Grouping in the Halls

Rebekka Williams

Students Grouping in the Halls

Rebekka Williams

Rebekka Williams

Students Grouping in the Halls

Everyone has their opinions on the social ladder, but what do different groups say about the matter?

To start off, an anonymous interviewee had mentioned the overall wanting of good intentions of both social groups — popular groups are more extroverted and have a larger following. It is also worth noting that with the popular groupings, they often break trust to get a higher viewing. One day; teachers and admins dress coded this person for a tank top showing; however, they noticed the popular girl in booty shorts got away with it. They mentioned this was only their view and that it might seem opposite to someone of a more popular stance. Overall, everyone is similar in their core and just group differently.

Ms. Cook, an English teacher here at LHS, had mentioned groups can be pointed out easily, as popular kids tend to be on their phones and social media a lot. These types of people tend to be very outgoing, and will form noticeable groups at lunch. They are also noted to laugh at someone’s appearance and are sometimes popular for that reason alone. Unpopular kids tend to be quieter, keep to themselves, and are known to listen to music if on the phone. These kids are sometimes teased, and are isolated during the lunch period. During class, popular kids tend to ask more questions and are more likely to do something wrong: hence why they are corrected a lot more. The common things between both popular and unpopular students is that they are still kids; they still need a bit of attention and to feel important, and above all they all need education and teacher support. What Ms. Cook wants everyone to know is that we should understand each other’s differences.

The University of Illinois in Chicago worked with the University of Texas in Austin on a study showing what type of social groups exist in current times. There were 12 groups shown: Populars, Jocks, Floaters, Good-Ats, Fine-Arts, Brains, Normals, Druggies/Stoners, Emo/Goths, Anime-Manga kids, and Loners. With the exception of one or two, they can be divided by the normal student into the two groups of popular and unpopular.

Chart showing the different types of social groups in high schools.

Sara Wilson, whom is in the popular group from Connect Charter School in Pueblo, had stated that people treated her like a “queen” of sorts, and that she was very nice toward them. She said, “A person’s actions show who they are as a person. I’m not the popular girl who treats people (badly), I like to make them feel included.” She has recognized there are popular people who do treat others badly but has never had that kind of experience. As there is the stigma around popular people, Sara has her share of people who don’t quite like her. She had stated, “Nobody has everyone liking ’em and they spread rumors. That’s just life.”