Three Simple Tips for Getting a Job

Three Simple Tips for Getting a Job

High School students are constantly looking for a job. Whether students need the money for their social life or to help make ends meet at home, one out of every four high school students have jobs. That means when you have a job, the other three members in your friend group are bugging you asking how you did it. If you’re the one, or if you’re the three, here are some tips for you.

1.DON’T BE A ONE TRICK PONY

The employment rate of college students is 25% higher than that of high school students. To beat out the competition, you’ve got to stand out. Join a club, get good grades, play sports, have a position title (like captain of the basketball team), the list goes on. You may be busy, but with a job comes varying sacrifices of social life. For example, a job at McDonalds may not require as impressive of a resume when compared to a job working with children. This is not a negative thing, but simply implies that CPR is not as vital when applying for a job that consists of flipping burgers when compared to one that includes watching children (higher paying).

Image result for standout

2. Learn How to Talk

Of course you know how to talk, at this point in life you’re most likely driving and speaking in complete sentences. That’s not what I mean though. When at an interview teenagers may be nervous and tense up, or while still nervous seem too relaxed. At least this was the consensus view of employers at Panda Express (in the Woodmen Plaza), the Briargate YMCA, and Jimmy Johns (in the Woodmen Plaza), all popular places for teens to work in our LHS community. Angela Swan, general manager in training/employer, at Panda Express says  “We’re very forgiving when it comes to teenagers and their interviews but only if they have a sort of ‘can do’ attitude. We understand how nerve wracking an interview for a first job can be, but as employers we try and spot the difference between nerves and when a kid just doesn’t care”. In my conversation with Angela we noted how some teenagers (particularly males) talk to employers in a way that seems like they’re talking to a friend, “this is a no go” says Angela. Being yourself is the best route to go when at an interview (while also being professional), and if you are too nervous, softer is better. A culpable young mind is better for a business than a teenager who thinks they know everything

3. Be Smart

While getting good grades does look good on a student resume, it means nothing to an employer if you don’t act smart. Oftentimes, at a job you will not be sputtering the quadratic formula, but you will be interacting with people who are tricky to deal with. Staying calm, collected and smart in an abnormal situation at work is important and is normally integrated into a list of interview questions you‘ll be asked. For instance, your interviewer may ask what you would do if a customer began to scream at you due to an incorrect order. You may think to yourself about how you’d respond and imagine telling the customer off for screaming at you, and while still getting the order because it’s your job also throwing in a bit of sass to put the customer in their place. I know, who would say that right? The interview horror stories told from these businesses would surprise you. Being smart with how you respond to questions such as this one could mean the difference between a job found and a continued job search. While there is no one right answer there are definitely wrong answers, a better response might consist of you politely apologizing to the customer. You pacify them while truthfully you are upset and go to the back to take a quick moment to calm down before speaking to them again. Your answer isn’t too perfect which would imply you’re not telling the truth, it’s a real human answer that shows how mature and capable you are.

Finding a job can be difficult but hopefully these small simple tips will help you in your search. Keep them in mind next time you’re sending in applications and apply them to your next interview. You may notice a sudden change in luck.

https://www.waldenu.edu/online-doctoral-programs/doctor-of-education/resource/pros-and-cons-of-working-a-job-in-high-school
https://www.familyeducation.com/school/childs-advocate/part-time-job-good-idea-high-school-student